7 is On Your Side with new information about your
safety on Metro. It comes out of the investigation
into last week's train derailment that trapped Red
Line riders underground.
Metro board members
pressed General Manager John Catoe for information
about the crash at a board meeting Thursday. Catoe
said he couldn't talk about it since the National
Transportation Safety Board is investigating.
He indicated Metro's trying to prevent another
"What we know, we have taken action on," Catoe
When asked why the NTSB would investigate a
relatively minor derailment, a spokesman said if the
agency sees a pattern of problems within an agency,
they're going to look into it.
Former NTSB Chairman Jim Hall told ABC 7 News
he's not at all surprised the board's investigating,
considering Metro's "past response to board
Before he was briefed, new Metro Board Chairman
Peter Benjamin said the system is safe.
"I personally think that Metro is safe, otherwise
I wouldn't take my grandchildren on it," Benjamin
Carl Pigford wants all the details but will keep
riding even without them.
"Taking Metrorail or Metrobus is technically
safer than driving a car every day," he said. "I
mean, it's something that I will question but it's
not something that will make me 'Ohh, I'm not riding
the Metro ever again.'"
The NTSB has four open investigation of Metro
Hearings are scheduled to begin next week into
Metro's deadliest crash, the June 22 collision of
two Red Line trains that killed eight passengers and
a train operator. The NTSB is also investigating
the Nov. 29 incident at Metrorail's West Falls
Church Rail Yard, in which three employees suffered
minor injuries, and the Jan. 26 deaths of Automatic
Train Control technicians Jeff Garrard and Sung Oh
near the Rockville Metrorail station.